ROAD TRIP!

January 10th, 2011 tjcull14

“I passed through the seven levels of the Candy Cane forest, through the sea of swirly twirly gum drops, and then I walked through the Lincoln Tunnel.”

Well, almost.

This past week, I ventured through the Mid-Atlantic to visit some of my friends from Holy Cross. My first stop was Wethersfield, CT where I visited my roommate Kyle. After taking a 2 hour bus from Providence into Hartford, I ate a wonderful meal and stayed the night and then Kyle and I left for Carmel, NY the next morning. We arrived at my friend Dave’s house and “chilled” with him and his friends all day and got what Dave called “Carmel experience.” However I still do not know what exactly that was. If the “Carmel experience” was awkwardly sitting around Dave and his friends while  not being able to pick up on any inside jokes then sure, I got the Carmel experience

The most eventful part of my stay in Carmel happened at 4:30 in the morning when Kyle’s car alarm went off outside Dave’s house unexpectedly. Dave woke up and tried to find Kyle’s  car keys, however without any luck, he had to succumb to waking up Kyle. After living with Kyle for a semester I learned that he is not a morning person, and sometimes it takes a full effort on my part to get him to come to breakfast at Kimball, so when Dave woke Kyle up at 4:30, Kyle’s reaction was similar to this. Watching Kyle wake up and comprehend what Dave was telling him was nothing short of hilarious.

Despite the car troubles from the night before, Dave, Kyle, and I were off to Berkeley Heights, NJ  for my friend Andrew’s birthday. Similar to Buddy the Elf, we did travel through New York City, but not a sea of swirly twirly gum drops. After fighting the snow and slush, we arrived at Andrew’s where his mom treated us to classic sub sandwiches. After a night of meeting Andrew’s friends, I woke up the next morning and completed my trip by making the 5 hour trip back to Rhode Island.

As fun as it was to see all of my friends for the first time in 3 weeks, the transportation part of the trip made things more difficult then it had to be. Whether it was a bus ride that took twice as long as a normal car ride would, a car alarm going off at 4:30 in the morning, fighting slush on the New Jersey Turnpike, and a 5 hour trip back home, the transportation aspect of the trip was the only thing that I’d change.

If only I took the trip via iceberg