Holy Hump Day

February 9th, 2011 tjcull14

Wednesday, Wednesday, Wednesday. For some the worst day of the week seeing that it falls in the middle of the school or work week, or the pinnacle (this is where the “hump” reference comes from), however to me, “Hump Day,” or Wednesday, is one of my favorite days. Despite a packed schedule of 3 classes, (yes that’s right high school students reading this, 3 classes is a jam-packed day in college especially at “The Cross”) I have something to look forward to every Wednesday night: “Modern Family.” If you have never heard of the greatest show on television, stop reading for a moment and do the following:

1. lift up your right foot (or left if you are left footed)

2. thrust whatever foot you lifted up into your opposite leg as hard as you can (i.e. if you lifted up your right foot, thrust it into your left leg).

That’s right, kick yourself. “Modern Family” is gold. This show will become the “Seinfeld” of our generation. Are you sick of your parents constantly re-hashing their favorite “Seinfeld” episodes at dinner parties? Have you ran out of Seinfeld trivia boardgames, seasonal DVDs, and sporcle.com quizzes to give/show to your parents like I have? Well get a new hobby and pick up “Modern Family” tonight at 9:00 ET on ABC (6:00 for all my west coast readers out there). And trust me it won’t disappoint.

Wait, never mind, I can’t watch it tonight.

Tonight I have my a Holy Cross Special Olympics meeting at the same time as the new “Modern Family” episode. This is the first year that Holy Cross is sponsoring a Special Olympics program at the school, and I never got the opportunity to participate in Special Olympics in high school so I am happy to now participate in it as a Holy Cross student.

The club here at Holy Cross is called “HC Goes Unified.” The term unified refers to the fact that this club will focus on unified basketball games between partners and athletes. Unified Basketball was offered at my high school, however basketball players, like myself at the time, were not permitted to play, but now I am not this guy, so I am allowed to participate. I’ve heard wonderful things about this program, through students who did it at my high school along with students at Holy Cross who are continuing to do it through “HC Goes Unified,” so I see the meeting tonight not as a barrier in my “Modern Family” time, but an opportunity to embody my Jesuit responsibilities through giving back.

So as your Wednesday comes to a close, ask yourself not what your Hump Day can do for you, but what you can do for your Hump Day. Ok, a little dramatic, but don’t spoil the episode for me by posting the plot line in the comments section of my blog.