Springing into Warmer Weather

February 17th, 2011 tjcull14

Mark today on your calendar as the first day that wasn’t icy, windy, or blistery  at Holy Cross in 2011. Despite the piles of snow that still lay dormant on the ground, the sun came out today and made the walk to class somewhat enjoyable and relaxing. However, the sun slowly starting to come out of hibernation can only mean one thing…spring weather is upon us.

In most parts of the country, there is not much of a change from spring to winter. However, up in Worcester, (or down in Worcester for all my Canadian readers who can empathize with me), once it starts getting warm out, it seems like new people that you’ve never seen before emerge and walk the campus. It’s almost like the transformation of a caterpillar into a butterfly. Although seeing students in a tee-shirt rather than a North Face jacket, sweatshirt, and hat isn’t as dramatic as this, it still is a sight to see other students in apparel other than Holy Cross sweatshirts.

However, now that warm weather is approaching, more students will start flocking to the gym to get in “spring and summer shape.”

Despite the multitude of students who go to the gym and look as awkward as a grandma in an Apple Store, by not knowing what to do while they’re working out, there is something amusing to their presence: their music.

One of the more amusing things about the gym, to me at least, is wondering what music people listen to while they work out. What gives them that extra “uumf” on their last bench press set? What song gets them through that extra half mile? It’s one of the perks of going to the gym.

Are they a Lil Wayne fan, who think that every song that “Weezy” makes is gold?

Are they a sleeveless shirt wearing, classic rock fan ( i.e. ACDC,  Metallica, Guns & Roses)

Or are they like me who listens to everything from Katie Perry to Van Halen while they work out?

That’s right my secret is out, I enjoy Katie Perry. And so what, “Teenage Dream” is that song that gets me through that last bench press set, or extra half mile. I’m no lesser of a man because of it. And the best part is besides you, my readers, no one else knows that Katie Perry is on my “Gym” playlist. So lets keep this bond we share strong and not spoil my work out secret.

However, if you find yourself at the gym trying to get into “spring and summer shape,” take a second to observe your surroundings and try and figure out what type of music the old guy in the headband is listening to